P1 + M1 - Second Submission
Omniya Tajni
P1: Explain different ideas for an original media product based on a client brief
M1: Discuss strengths and weaknesses of the different ideas
My interpretation of the client brief
Within the brief I have interpreted that the client has asked me to pitch my urban legend script. In this pitch, I have understood that I will need to explain where I developed my final idea, my inspiration and the research I took that created the final product. I believe that I am open to my own choices, this is on how I want to present my ideas and what materials I decided to use as visual stimulus. In this case I chose to do a Prezi PowerPoint. However, the boundaries are that my pitch has a time limit of 3-5 minutes and I must be able to explain how I managed to get the final idea with the research that I undertook and be ready to answer questions given during the pitch.
Within the brief I have interpreted that the client has asked me to pitch my urban legend script. In this pitch, I have understood that I will need to explain where I developed my final idea, my inspiration and the research I took that created the final product. I believe that I am open to my own choices, this is on how I want to present my ideas and what materials I decided to use as visual stimulus. In this case I chose to do a Prezi PowerPoint. However, the boundaries are that my pitch has a time limit of 3-5 minutes and I must be able to explain how I managed to get the final idea with the research that I undertook and be ready to answer questions given during the pitch.
My possible ideas for my client brief interpretation
Before I decided on the idea for my urban legend script, We did a blue sky thinking discussion. Blue sky thinking is a discussion where all ideas for a topic are discussed relating to the brief, no criticism is given in this process is given and nothing is discounted. After this I was able to pick a few ideas that I believed I liked and could make a script out of. After my discussion for the blue sky thinking, I chose one that I liked the most and from this I went and did further research online on different urban legend stories. From the research and the blue sky thinking I was able to pick out 3 ideas and stories and interpret it into an urban legend genre.
My three key ideas I have chosen from research
1. THE CLOWN STATUE https://www.thoughtco.com/the-clown-statue-3299483
The strengths and weaknesses of this story:
Strengths: I believe that this story fits into the 'urban' genre due to the whole clown idea & that he leaves with her and the children. As an urban legend is a story that is told to be believed to be true, this story fits in it as well because it leaves the viewers at the edge of the seat, they would want to know what happened to the clown, did the police find him? did the parents make it in time to save their children at least? This is the exact response an individual must have when listening to an urban legend story because it ends in a way that makes you ask so many questions but you have to make up your own answers to.
Weaknesses: When I researched the story, it didn't really have that spark of an urban legend theme, because it was just a normal story. Urban legend is something that needs to believed its true and create suspense. The real story finishes off with 'the babysitter got murdered', as a reader this didn't make me want to know more as it was so typical. However I thought that if I then interpreted this and believed that if I was to make changes to this story, I could change it to where people would see the clown coming out the house with the children and the baby sitter & they would disappear for some time and not be found. This then allows the viewer to think, did the parents find out? did anyone stop the clown? did the clown get punished? It needs to create that effect in the end that makes you think and wonder what happened after.
2. THE BABYSITTER & THE MAN UPSTAIRS https://www.thoughtco.com/the-babysitter-and-the-man-upstairs-3299474
A babysitter was taking care of three children. After a while the phone rings. She answers it, but hears no one on the other end hangs up. After a while the phone rings again. She answers, and this time there's a man on the line who says, in a chilling voice, "Have you checked the children?" At first, she thinks it might have been the father calling to check up and he got interrupted, so she decides to ignore it. then the phone rings again. "Have you checked the children. So she calls the police and reports that a stranger has been calling her and hanging up. A few minutes go by and she gets another call. "Why haven't you checked the children?" the voice says. "Who is this?" she asks, but he hangs up again. She dials 911 again and says, "I'm scared. I know he's out there, he's watching me." She slams the phone down, terrified. Almost immediately it rings again. "Leave me alone!" she screams. His voice is urgent. The police traced the call. It was coming from another room inside the house. She tears to the front door, attempting to unlock it and dash outside. She sees a door open at the top of the stairs. She finally gets the door open and bursts outside, only to find a cop standing on the doorstep with his gun drawn. At this point, she's safe, of course, but when they capture the intruder and drag him downstairs in handcuffs, she sees he is covered in blood."
The strengths and weaknesses of this story:
Strengths: This is not a known story and therefore anyone that tells the story can add their element of surprise, change the ending. This would be really attractive to the audience as its an interesting story & due to the ending being on a cliff hanger it makes the listener/reader want to know what happened afterwards. Due to this, I feel like I could have interpreted this by making it fit to modern day life, so he could be sending her pictures or snaps showing her his in the house and every time she goes to the location she doesn't find him there.
Weaknesses: However this story doesn't seem to fit the urban legend genre as it doesn't say 'it happened to me' or 'a friend told a friend', so due to the fact it has no ending it shows that its just fake and unreal and doesn't make the reader believe the whole idea of something being fake but true. The story has an ending where the man gets taken away by the police, this wouldn't be good to add to an urban legend because it needs to have the element of surprise leaving the viewers shocked with the ending and interested to know what happened after.
My chosen idea
After researching a variety of urban legend stories, these two stories standed out the most to me. I combined both these stories together to create the urban legend story that was required from the client brief. From the clown statute story, I took the whole idea of the clown just standing there in the room staring at the individual & in the other story I got the idea of the man constantly calling her and asking if she did something. I decided to collaborate these two together because after the blue sky thinking discussion we came up with a stalker idea and they both collaborate together. With my urban legend story, I wrote about where a girl is constantly getting stalked via snap chat, using the snap chat map I chose snap chat because I believe it would be more believable and the audience would relate to it as it links to modern day life and majority of the individuals from my target audience are known to have a snap chat account and will understand the risk they take by leaving their location on in the snap chat map.
Weaknesses: However this story doesn't seem to fit the urban legend genre as it doesn't say 'it happened to me' or 'a friend told a friend', so due to the fact it has no ending it shows that its just fake and unreal and doesn't make the reader believe the whole idea of something being fake but true. The story has an ending where the man gets taken away by the police, this wouldn't be good to add to an urban legend because it needs to have the element of surprise leaving the viewers shocked with the ending and interested to know what happened after.
My chosen idea
After researching a variety of urban legend stories, these two stories standed out the most to me. I combined both these stories together to create the urban legend story that was required from the client brief. From the clown statute story, I took the whole idea of the clown just standing there in the room staring at the individual & in the other story I got the idea of the man constantly calling her and asking if she did something. I decided to collaborate these two together because after the blue sky thinking discussion we came up with a stalker idea and they both collaborate together. With my urban legend story, I wrote about where a girl is constantly getting stalked via snap chat, using the snap chat map I chose snap chat because I believe it would be more believable and the audience would relate to it as it links to modern day life and majority of the individuals from my target audience are known to have a snap chat account and will understand the risk they take by leaving their location on in the snap chat map.
Comments
Post a Comment